Friday, November 19, 2010

"So out it's in..."

...these are the words that my kind, well-meaning friends say to me in reference to my countertops.  They are orange.  Not just any orange, they are a bright, shiny orangey-tangerine color straight out of the 70's when the counters were installed.  When we moved  here 5 years ago, I vowed they would be the first things to go, but somehow, over time, the rest of the house has slowly undergone a transformation while the kitchen stayed the same.  I'll let you decide for yourself whether they are "so out, they're in" while I try out a new recipe.

This is Jamie's Minestrone http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jamies-Minestrone/Detail.aspx found on Allrecipes.com.  I love trying recipes from that site because of their rating system and the helpful comments from other allrecipes users.  Since two out of three of my little girlies have sinus infections right now, and I am feeling a bit under the weather myself, I decided a nice hearty soup would be in order for dinner.  The recipes was easy and it made a HUGE amount so we ate it for dinner tonight and I am pretty sure I will be able to freeze portions for two more dinners.



Step 1: Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic for 2-3 minutes; then add chopped onion and saute for another 4-5 minutes.



Add chopped celery and carrots to the pan and saute for a few more minutes.





Step 2: Add chicken broth, tomato sauce and water to the pan and bring to a boil.



And just for fun, here is a closeup of my measuring cup.  There's nothing like taking pictures in your kitchen to make your really look at your kitchenware and wonder, "where the heck did this come from, and why does it have geese on it??"



Anyways, back to the recipe.  Here it is, all mixed together, trying to boil in my dutch oven (doubling as a stockpot).


Step 3:  Turn the heat down to low and add kidney beans, green beans, spinach, zucchini, oregano, basil, and the salt and pepper.


Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.



 Meanwhile, boil some noodles (I used bowties, but the recipe recommends shells), drain and set aside.

Step 4: Dish it up and listen to the kids complain (at least that's what I did)! Put some noodles in the bowl, then pour some soup over top.  We sprinkled parmaesan and croutons on top.  Hubby, baby E. and I agreed it was delicious, while M. and L. told me it looked gross but tasted good.  I'll take whatever compliments I can get, even when they border on insults!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...